Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Honoring the volunteers who make our community a better place to live

While at times it is easy to get bogged down by the day to day tasks of working, there are those days that stand out and make me think, "I LOVE my job."

This morning I had one of those fabulous ah-ha moments during a meeting at Dominican Hospital to determine this year's winners for the 3rd Annual Be the Difference Awards. Surrounded by leaders from the business, civic, media, and community sectors we poured over the stories of volunteers devoted to giving their time for the betterment of our County.

Their stories were not only inspiring but reminded me that everyday, each of us, positively benefits from volunteerism. We find volunteers at the hospital information desk, the library, on the soccer or baseball field, as ushers at the Symphony, as docents in our parks, or behind the scenes at nearly every non-profit. These volunteer stories reflect that everywhere in our community there is work being done to create change for the better.

Here in Santa Cruz County, we are fortunate to have a lively and diverse tradition of volunteering. I personally feel fortunate to have the opportunity to help organize the "Be the Difference" awards because it gives me an opportunity to thank those individuals, groups, non-profits and businesses who make my life easier and my community a better place to live. This year 36 nominees will be recognized and 5 will receive special honors.

I invite you to join me in honoring those who are dedicated to taking action and solving problems in our community through volunteerism by attending the Awards Luncheon on October 22nd at the Coconut Grove from 11:30-1:30PM. To learn more call us at 427-5070 or visit the Volunteer Center website at http://www.scvolunteercenter.com/events.html

VIEW the Videos of Last Year's Winners:


2008 Individual Winners- Bobbie Bihn, Jack Sparks and Bill Neighbors



2008 Group and Business Winners- Meals on Wheels and Bay Federal Credit Union





Be the Difference Video- Presented at the 2008 Awards:

No comments: